Asthma Library

What’s Asthma?

Who Gets Asthma?

Prevention and Care

Recommended Links

Asthma Index

We are a safe place to discuss your personal health issues.

Sign up for free!



Sign up for free email!

Using an Asthma Inhaler
Using an Asthma Inhaler

(More Video)

Online learning resources for diabetes, asthma, hypertension, and nutrition.
Diabetes 101: Learn more about diabetes, managing your blood sugar levels, and your diet.
Diabetes 201: Learn more about diabetes, managing your blood sugars, and your diet.
Asthma 101: Learn more about asthma and dealing with shortness of breath.
Hypertension 101: Learn more about hypertension and managing your blood pressure.
Nutrition 101: Learn more about improving your nutrition and diet

"He who limps is still walking."
~Stanislaw J. Lec

Help me learn about:

We welcome all suggestions. Please tell us how to make savvyHEALTH even better.

Asthma Library: What is Asthma?

The Genetics of Asthma

Scientists studying asthma in families agree there is a genetic component to the disease. While the prevalence of asthma is 4 percent to 5 percent in the U.S. population overall, it's 20 percent to 25 percent among those who have a sibling or parent with asthma.

Children born to families with one asthmatic parent have a risk of developing the disease several times that of children born to those without the disease. And the risk is even greater if both parents have asthma.

There seems to be no single "asthma gene" that produces symptoms in patients and little or no evidence to indicate that specific genes actually cause it. Instead, genes only establish a susceptibility, giving each person a greater or lesser risk of developing asthma in response to their environment. The degree of susceptibility that any one individual might have is probably determined by how many asthma genes they have.

Reprinted with the Permission from The American Medical Association

Back to What Is Asthma

Copyright © 2000-2023 All rights reserved.

About savvyHEALTH | Privacy | Feedback | Home

All contents copyright © 1999-2023 savvyHEALTH, Inc. All rights reserved.

This internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Please review the Terms of Use before using this site. Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use.