Nutrition Basics

Vitamins and Minerals

Food Substitutes

Healthy Eating

Eating for Disease Management

Special Considerations

Children and Nutrition

Nutrition During Pregnancy

Nutritional Concerns for the Older Adult

The Weight Loss Links

What Diets Can I Use to Lose Weight?

Eating Disorders

Food Safety

Modern Food Trends

Nutrition Index







We are a safe place to discuss your personal health issues.


Sign up for free!



  Login:

  Password:



Sign up for free email!


When Panic Attacks
When Panic Attacks


(More Video)

Online learning resources for diabetes, asthma, hypertension, and nutrition.
Diabetes 101: Learn more about diabetes, managing your blood sugar levels, and your diet.
Diabetes 201: Learn more about diabetes, managing your blood sugars, and your diet.
Asthma 101: Learn more about asthma and dealing with shortness of breath.
Hypertension 101: Learn more about hypertension and managing your blood pressure.
Nutrition 101: Learn more about improving your nutrition and diet

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
~Winston Churchill

Help me learn about:
Google
Web savvyhealth.com

We welcome all suggestions. Please tell us how to make savvyHEALTH even better.


Nutrition Library: Food Safety

What is Botulism?



Botulism is a rare but serious foodborne disease. It is caused by contamination of certain foods by the botulism bacterium commonly found in the soil. There are two different illnesses: adult botulism and infant botulism. An adult may become ill by eating spoiled food containing the botulism toxin. This toxin is produced when the bacteria grow in improperly canned foods and occasionally in contaminated fish. Infant botulism is caused by eating the spores of the botulinum bacterium. For infants one source of these spores is honey.

When contaminated food is eaten by adults, toxin is absorbed from the intestines and attaches to the nerves causing the signs and symptoms of botulism. Early symptoms include blurred vision, dry mouth, difficulty in swallowing or speaking, general weakness, and shortness of breath. The illness may progress to complete paralysis, respiratory failure, and death. When infants eat contaminated food, the spores grow in the intestines and release toxin.

Diagnosis is made by the presence of appropriate neurologic symptoms and by laboratory tests that detect toxin or by culture of Clostridium botulinum bacterium from the patient's stool.

Although there are very few cases of botulism poisoning each year, prevention is extremely important. Home canning should follow strict hygienic recommendations to reduce contamination of foods. In addition, because the botulism toxin is destroyed by boiling for 10 minutes, people who eat home- canned foods should consider boiling the food before eating it to ensure safety. A county extension home economist can provide specific instructions on safe home canning techniques. To help prevent infant botulism, infants less than 12 months old should not be fed honey.

Treatment for adults requires care in an intensive care unit; botulism antitoxin can be helpful if given soon after symptoms begin. Treatment for infants requires hospitalization and possibly care in an intensive care unit. Antitoxin is not recommended for infants.

Reprinted with permission from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention





Copyright © 2000-2021 savvyHEALTH.com. All rights reserved.





About savvyHEALTH | Privacy | Feedback | Home

http://www.savvyHEALTH.com/

All contents copyright © 1999-2021 savvyHEALTH, Inc. All rights reserved.

This internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Please review the Terms of Use before using this site. Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use.